After we shot this photo for the recipe, we realised that using Morecombe Bay Shrimps instead of prawns would add a touch of seaside luxury ... and they do, just try it!
Using the smoked mussel oil instead of the olive oil will really intensify the smoky flavour. We also added some squid rings, but these are not to every taste.
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large red peppers, chopped or sliced
- 450g (1lb) Spanish paella rice
- 150ml (¼ pint) dry white wine
- A good pinch of dried red chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- About 1.2 litres (2 pints) fish or vegetable stock
- A large pinch of saffron strands soaked in 3 tablespoons hot water
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 12 whole prawns, in their shells (optional) or
- 2 x 57g pots Morecombe Bay Shrimps
- 55g (2oz) raw squid rings (optional)
- 200g (7oz) smoked mussels in oil, drained
- 125g (4oz) fresh of frozen peas
- 400g (14oz) Roast Smoked Salmon
- 4 tablespoons chopped flatleaf parsley
- Lemon or lime wedges, to serve
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a paella pan or large deep frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the rice until all the grains are nicely coated with oil and are glossy.
- Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and allow to bubble and reduce until it disappears.
- Stir in the chilli flakes, paprika, fish stock, and soaked saffron. Stir well, bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Now stir in the tomatoes, smoked mussels and prawns and squid (if using) and cook gently for 5 minutes before finally adding the shrimps and their butter (if using), the peas and tucking the roast smoked salmon in the rice.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until heated through. At this stage, almost all the liquid will have been absorbed and the rice in tender.
- Scatter the chopped parsley over the top and serve immediately, straight from the pan with a big pile of lemon or lime wedges on the side.
- This is messsy food, so have plenty of napkins around.
Click here to print