We were having a Hallowe'en party and I wanted to do something different which wouldn't keep me in the kitchen away from all the fun. The par-smoked trout cutlets taste fantastic with this spicy rub.
- 4 x 110g (4 oz) par-smoked trout or salmon fillets, skin on
For the spicy rub
(keeps well, you may not use it all)
- 55g (2 oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 25g (1 oz) sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli seasoning or spice mix
- ½ teaspoon celery or fennel seeds
- Mix the spice rub ingredients together and rub over the cutlets. Cover and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, lay the cutlets, skin side up (to protect the flesh and stop it drying out), onto a grill pan.
- Place under a hot grill and grill on one side only for 8 - 10 minutes until golden and cooked through. Turn the cutlets over, baste with the cooking juices and finish off under the grill until crispy (no more than a minute).
- Delicious served either with baked potatoes and a soured cream and chive sauce or new potatoes and a salad.
- Keep any leftover spice rub in a screwtop jar in the cupboard.