I was lucky enough to have a glut of fennel in the garden and came up with this deliciously fresh and crunchly salad to serve with any smoked fish. The aniseed crunch of fennel, the spicy radish and the tart lemon make the ultimate salad.
- 1 bulb fresh fennel, trimmed
- 3 radishes
- 1 whole fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons decent olive oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- a good squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7 oz) smoked salmon, to serve
- Using a thin sharp knife or a mandolin, slice the fennel and radishes as thinly as you can. Toss them with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Peel the lemon with a sharp knife to remove all the skin and pith, like an apple.
- Cut out the segments and add them to the fennel and radishes. Cover and leave to soften slightly for 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with a dash of lemon juice, salt and pepper and sprinkle with the sliced spring onions.
- To serve, divide the salmon between 4 plates and arrange salad alongside.