Smoked Salmon Soufflé
Recipe by kind permission from Rosie Simpson.
- 50g butter
- 50g plain white flour
- 300ml milk
- 50g mature cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated yolks and whites
- 100g smoked salmon finely chopped
- Pinch nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 350F / 180C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk to make a smooth sauce, simmering for 3 minutes, beating well until thick and glossy.
- Remove from heat and beat in the cheese, egg yolks, fish, a little salt and pepper and the nutmeg.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold in 1 tablespoon of the egg white into the sauce, then gently fold the sauce into the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon.
- Pour into a well-buttered 2 1/2 pt / 1.5 L soufflé dish, or divide into individual soufflé dishes.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until just firm (the individual soufflé dishes with cook quicker, about 10 - 15 minutes).