- 225g (8oz) whole-wheat, buck wheat or rye flour
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- a good pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 25g (1oz) active dried yeast
- 700ml (1¼ pints) warm milk
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Extra butter, for cooking
- Sift the two flours together into a warm dry mixing bowl and add the salt.
- Whisk the sugar and yeast into the warm milk, mix well and leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Pour into the flour along with the beaten eggs and melted butter.
- Gradually mix to a batter, bringing in the surrounding flour.
- Beat well until smooth.
- Place the bowl inside a plastic carrier bag and tie the handles together to enclose.
- Leave in a warm place for 2 hours until risen and bubbly.
- Grease a griddle or heavy frying pan lightly with butter.
- Heat gently over steady heat.
- When the griddle is hot pour spoonfuls of the batter on to the surface to make small pancakes.
- When bubbles rise and the surface begins to look cooked around the edges, turn over and cook the other side to a light brown.
- Keep the blinis warm wrapped in a clean tea cloth.
Serve with crème fraîche, smoked salmon, lemon and black pepper.
Click here to print