Another twist on a classic Italian dish and perfect for when the family invades. This is a luscious, creamy lasagne packed with dense bites of smoked fish and the burst of juicy tomatoes. I used a mixture of haddock and roast smoked salmon but you can make it with whatever you like best.
- 250g (9 oz) pack fresh egg lasagne
- 75g (3 oz) butter
- 225g (8 oz) chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 225g (8 oz) grated mild cheddar
- 225g (8 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 225g (8 oz) flaked smoked fish (of any sort)
For the sauce
- 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 300ml (½ pint) milk, warmed
- 100g (3½ oz) Boursin cheese
- 150ml (¼ pint) double cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- Melt 20g (1 oz) of the butter in a saucepan, add the sliced mushrooms, season with pepper and cook for 5 minutes until soft and all the moisture has evaporated. Set aside
- Melt the remaining 55g (2 oz) butter, add the flour and whisk over a gentle heat until smooth, then remove from the heat and slowly add the warm milk to create smooth sauce. Return it to the heat, bring to the boil whisking all the time until the sauce thickens, then reduce the heat and cook for 1-2 minutes, continue stirring. Finally take it off the heat and stir in the Boursin cheese and double cream.
To assemble the lasagne
- Put a layer of sauce over the base of a 25cm x 18cm ( 10 inch x 7 inch) deep rectangular ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with a quarter of the cheddar cheese. Place lasagne sheets on top to cover (approx. 3). Cover with half of the tomatoes, half of the cooked mushrooms and half the flaked smoked fish. Spoon over a further thin layer of sauce and sprinkle with another quarter of the cheddar cheese. Lay 3 more lasagne sheets on top to cover. Cover with the remaining tomatoes, cooked mushrooms and flaked smoked fish. Spoon over a further thin layer of sauce and sprinkle half the remaining cheddar cheese. Top with 3 more lasagne sheets (if room in the dish), spoon over any remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. This will sit happily in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes at Fan 170°C / 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5 until the cheese begins to brown and then place it under the grill for 5 minutes more if you want a crisp golden top.
- If you like a firmer lasagne with more layers of pasta, then add a layer between each ingredient. You will need more lasagne of course.