A hearty, warming winter meal. Serves 2
- 50g Butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 350g smoked haddock, skinned & cut into large chunks
- 2 tbls chopped fresh parsley
- 500g celeriac, peeled
- 800g Rooster or King Edward potatoes, peeled
- 300ml Double cream
- 4 tbsp freshly grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Melt the butter and gently fry the onion for 2-3 minutes, until soft and just turning brown.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the haddock pieces, parsley and salt & pepper.
- Slice the celeriac and Potatoes using a mandoline or with the slicing blade in a food processor.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the cream and pour it over the potatoes and celeriac.
- Transfer to a wide, shallow, saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes until almost cooked through.
- Arrange half of this mixture in a buttered, oven proof gratin dish.
- Spoon the haddock mixture on top.
- Cover with the remaining potato/celeriac mix.
- Pour over any remaining cream and sprinkle with your choice of cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until cooked golden and bubbling.
Leave the Gratin to rest for about 10 minutes. Serve with fresh green beans or buttered broccoli. TIP: To speed up the cooking process so as not to overcook the haddock, microwave the potato, celeriac and cream mixture on high for about 10 minutes until almost cooked, then layer the dish and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
Click here to print